Tuesday 19 November 2013

My whole world has been brought back to life again

In our Now Hear This series, we feature another of our patients who has kindly agreed to talk about how much her life has been turned around by visiting the Hearing Care Centre.

Jenny from Ipswich, Suffolk

Why did you decide to have your hearing checked by The Hearing Care Centre?

A whole new lease of life
I was 58 years old and I was working in a bank and from behind the glass I realised I was only seeing the customer’s mouths moving, so I knew they were talking but I didn’t know what they were saying. I found I was leaning in and talking through the slot in the glass but it didn’t help.  Initially I went to my doctors for some help but the length of the waiting list for the NHS was just ridiculous, so I went privately to see an ENT surgeon and they found I had a perforated ear drum. After four unsuccessful operations to repair it I was pretty down about the whole thing and then my manager at work suggested getting me some help from The Hearing Care Centre. The difference was noticeable straight away; Karen immediately fitted me with a different kind of hearing aid system that works automatically through multi frequency channels wirelessly transmitting to a tiny cros unit on the other side. The words just came flying at me it was wonderful, I no-longer had to bend right near to the person to hear what they were saying.

Before I got some help I tried not to let my hearing loss get me down but I know it was hard on my husband as we couldn’t go on holiday or to a restaurant in case I had to sit on a table with other people, I just couldn’t hear them. Even in the supermarket doing the weekly shop I literally couldn’t hear anyone. I remember being at the till and the woman actually being quite sharp with me and speaking to me as if I wasn’t quite all there if you know what I mean – it was so humiliating, people just don’t understand.  The other thing I found is how listening so intently all day just wears you out; by the end of the day I was exhausted. Simple things you take for granted every day become impossible, listening out for the doorbell or just watching the TV.


What would you say to others who are unsure about having their hearing checked? 

Don’t delay; the earlier you go there, the more you can save your hearing. Now I am so thankful for being able to hear even the smallest sounds like a bird singing it’s only now I can hear that sound again that I had forgotten how wonderful it is. I remember the first time I heard a bird I thought it must be someone’s mobile ringing! The most delightful sound though is my grandchildren voices, because their voices are high pitched it was impossible to hear them and join in their conversations. Thanks to Karen and her team she’s brought my whole world to life again.  

No comments:

Post a Comment