Friday 1 November 2013

Now hear this


In the first of our Now Hear This series, we feature one of our patients who has kindly agreed to talk about why she chose The Hearing CareCentre.
Mum - don't you think your TV's up rather loud?

Daphne from Framlingham, Suffolk

Why did you decide to have your hearing checked by The Hearing Care Centre?
Well to be honest it was my family, well my daughters actually, they persuaded me to finally go and get it checked, they said ‘You know mother your TV is up too loud!’ Up until that point I didn’t think I had a problem. I think it’s because with me it came on gradually.  I didn’t realise until I met Karen and her team how my life had changed and what I was missing out on. For the first time in well, to be honest I couldn’t tell you how long, I could hear things like my stomach rumbling! And, well I’m not sure I should say this but when I went to spend a penny it was like Niagara Falls! What I didn’t realise was how tired I was getting just trying to keep up with everyday conversations. You have to concentrate so hard without the hearing aids to support you that by the end of the day you feel absolutely wiped out,especially in a group of people. I volunteer in a charity shop and so hearing when there’s several voices all talking at once was becoming just a babble – now I can hear them again and it’s like I’ve come back into the picture. When you can’t hear properly you sort of fade into the background. My daughters are happy because when they come to visit me my television is also back to normal sound levels too!

The Hearing Care Centre, Upper Brook St, Ipswich
What would you say to others who are unsure about having their hearing checked?  

I’ve had the hearing aids now since March 2013 as my granddaughter was due to marry in May 2013 and I was determined I’d be able to hear her say I will – and I could!! It’s as simple as that - you miss out on so much.  Events even if they are just everyday ones won’t happen again and I was determined not to miss out on anything else. It’s given me a new lease of life and my family are much happier too. It’s hard for them to understand why Mum can’t hear so well and so they either don’t speak clearly or just don’t bother to say it at all –  but now we are back chatting away together and it’s easier for us all.

If you'd like to talk to us about having your hearing checked or you know someone like Daphne who we can help get in touch. Call us for free on 0800 096 2637

You can also follow us on Facebook or Twitter 




No comments:

Post a Comment